Monday 15 December 2014

Dream Bike Time

My mantra has always been "I'll swap my bike when it becomes the limiting factor" this is mainly aimed at the fact that I'm a slow fat biffer on the bike. Not the slowest, or the least capable, but I'm certainly not "a racing snake" and the fact is, the bike isn't the thing that's slowing me down...

....and to be fair to my Scandal it's a bloody great bike. It's done soooo many many miles now including 4 Welsh Rides, 4 Winter Bivies, ridden from London to Wales and many trips and local blasts in-between. Every year people turn up on new bikes but my Scandal has stayed true to the cause. In 2011 at the start of the WRT you probably could have counted the 29ers on one hand. Last year my 26er Scandal was in a minority.

but..... and it's a fairly common but.. every so often my mind turns to my next bike (once I've earn't it, I know what my goal is) and when I do the Scandal will be retired and new bike will take it's place.
I know what I want, I want to take all the good bits about my Scandal and put bigger wheels on it, in fact if I could swap it for the original 29er version Scandal I would in a heartbeat but seen as On-One don't make this anymore and added silly 1.5" headsets on the later ones, it's off the list.

I like the simple things and I want to re-use a lot of the bits I like on my current bike. The 1/18th Headset, Normal BB, Gears, QR dropouts.

I think I'm going to risk rigid forks on my next bike. So many times have I set off with my forks locked out and promptly forgotten, then rode with them locked out for an entire ride without really noticing. Bearing this in mind, adding bigger wheels and a bit of a springy steel frame I think it's worth the risk and in my mind my super light current frame and heavy bouncy forks should weigh the same as a rigid steel? (just guessing)

A frameset that has caught my eye in the Genesis Longitude and I think this could be 'the one'. It will take all on my existing stuff (hopefully my Wildcat bag as-well, cable guides and bosses may be in the wrong place but I reckon I can get this on 'Warranty') so all I'll just need to buy is Frameset, Wheels and Tyres.



Right, best get on with my target then....

No comments:

Post a Comment